Saints score early, rout Wave, 19-12

By James H. Jackson Baltimore Sun Staff Correspondent; February 2nd, 1987

LANDOVER — The New Jersey Saints streaked to an early lead and never let the Washington Wave get back In the game last night in re­cording a 19-12 Eagle Pro Box La­crosse League victory at the Capital Centre.

The Saints (3-1). who lost to the Wings. 17-11. Saturday night before 14.189 Philadelphia Spectrum fans, looked none the worse for wear, as they outran, outhlt. outshot and completely outplayed the Wave (1-2) before 7.923.

With Vinny Pfeifer and Bill Be­roza combining for 45 saves, the Saints shut down the Wave’s high- scoring offense, especially Brad Kotz. who scored only two goals.
“Pfeifer and Beroza were both ex­cellent. but I didn’t think the goal­tending was the difference.” said Wave coach Bud Beardmore. “You have to give New Jersey credit. The Saints were scrappy and very ag­gressive. We Just didn’t play up to our capabilities.”

While the Washington attack was struggling, the Saints, who face the Baltimore Thunder next Satur­day at the Meadowlands Arena at 8:30 p.m., were humming.
The Saints raced to a 5-1 lead early In the second quarter and opened up an 18-8 bulge midway through the fourth period evoking a chorus of boos from the large crowd.

Bob Plccola scored five goals and Jeff Goldberg added three for the Saints. Randy Natoll had two goals and three assists. Jim Hollhan had two goals and Rich Mullen had two goals and two assists.

“We’ve got quite a few very quick kids and I think in this game quick­ness makes the difference.” said Bob Engelke. Saints head coach. “I think we shot extremely well and we placed the ball better than we have In our previous games. Also, we ran our fast break much better. We got outstanding efforts from both our goalies and our extra-man unit and man-down unit both did outstanding jobs.”

John Lamon led the Wave with two goals and four assists. Nell Barthleme, Jim DeCarlo and Kotz all had two goals.

The Wave drew first blood as John Lamon scored on a fast break off a pass from goalie Bruce Wlnand during a power play at 1:23. New Jersey retaliated with five straight goals with Jeff Goldberg giving the Saints a 5-1 lead at seven seconds of the second period.

The Wave rallied to cut the lead to 6-4 on Barthleme’s short-handed goal at the 12:01 mark, but Bob Pic­cola scored on power play Just before the half to allow New Jersey to hold a 7-4 lead at Intermission.

Goals by Piccola and Mullen In the first minute of the second half opened up a 9-4 New Jersey lead and the Waves never got closer than four goals the rest of the way.

The third quarter included a fight between G.P. Lindsay of the Wave and Gregg Ereid of the Saints. This precipitated a battle In the stands that required several security men to quell. The combatants In the stands were escorted from the arena and the participants on the field were sent to the penalty box.

Leave a comment

error: Content is protected !!